Sunday, September 22, 2013

Counting down the days

I cannot believe that Felipe and I are going to officially be parents in 9 days!! We are so excited and nervous and trying to enjoy these last few days with just the "two of us". Last week was a busy week with Felipe working and I was busy working my way through all the baby clothes, blankets, and towels. Our washing machine has pretty much been running non-stop. Tuesday, I carved out a little time to go see the movie "Blue Jasmine". I forgot how "sophisticated" the European movie experience was and I was disappointed by the lack of movie theatre popcorn. Isn't that part of the reason to go to the cinema anyways?? Despite not having popcorn, it was nice to see a movie on the big screen and I enjoyed seeing glimpses of "home" even if the ending of the movie dropped a melancholy weight on afternoon.

Thursday was a big day of errands. I had the car for the day so I took full advantage by taking a trip to Villa Arena, Ikea, and Babypark. Villa Arena is this massive furniture mall with 50+ furniture stores. A stop there was a must because I needed to exchange a pillow, but then I spent another 2 hours or so browsing the different stores since I was alone and wasn't being rushed through. Next stop was Ikea to pick up a frame for the A-Z print that I bought Optimus. I actually need to give credit to Felipe for finding it. Check out their other prints here, http://67inc.com/. Last stop was Babypark for crib sheets, baby bath, changing table, and diaper bin. I found everything I needed but ended up buying the diaper bin off of Amazon.

On Saturday, I met up with an old friend from Nebraska who is taking the year off to travel around the world. I love meeting up with people that I haven't seen in MANY years and being able to just pick up where we left off. We had a great time checking out Noordermarkt Boerenmarkt with all of the different types of organic produce and the vintage flea market finds. She was able to find a super cute scarf to keep warm and I picked up some almond oil. We also explored the different shops in the Joordan and I found a pop-up store that I had read about and had been wanting to check out called A Store Without a Home, http://storewithoutahome.blogspot.nl/. They had lots of cute stuff and I managed to get out of there without spending too much.

I love mushrooms. Such beautiful shapes and colors. I picked up a package of dried mushrooms that are awaiting their fate in a tasty Mushroom Risotto.

Are you a pepper head?

Megan and I all smiles after some yummy Apple Pie.

The weather is definitely cooling off here and the smell of fall is in the air. I was craving something sweet for dessert the other night after dinner and after analyzing what we had to work with I ended up modifying a Carrot Cake recipe that turned out quite yummy. Below is the recipe if you'd like to try a twist on the traditional Carrot Cake. I'm sure it would be tasty with a cream cheese frosting as well but I was just as happy without.

Carrot Olive Oil Cake




Ingredients
























Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in cranberries, carrots and lemon zest. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment